With any large-scale building project its imperative you have the right cover to ensure you don’t come into any difficulties. Construction Supermarket go above and beyond to ensure YOUR contractor has adequate cover!

ALL of our building contractors will have a minimum of £2,000,000.00 public liability insurance. We also ensure each contractor has Professional indemnity & Contracts of works. This will give you the safeguard that in the event of any issues or damage to your existing structure, what’s being build or materials on site, your covered!

Public liability insurance & Professional Indemnity

Construction contracts will typically include a clause requiring the contractor to carry insurance to cover expense, loss, liability, claim or proceedings for personal injury or death arising from the carrying out of the construction works, or loss or damage to property other than the works.

Personal injuries of employees will be covered by the contractor’s employers’ liability insurance, which is compulsory for all employers under the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act. All firms who employ staff are legally required to hold Employers Liability Insurance.

Personal injury or death, or loss or damage to property of third parties is covered by public liability insurance. Common law claims for personal injury or death, or loss or damage to property can be very significant and are unlimited. The cover provided does not limit the contractor’s liability.

Public liability insurance might cover against claims by:

  • Members of the public visiting the work premises
  • Customers
  • Clients
  • People living at the home of the building project
  • Independent sub-contractors
  • That is, anyone that the insured interacts with as part of their business, but not employees, temporary staff, students or people on work placements (who should be covered by employers’ liability insurance).

Typically, cover will be between £2 million and £5 million and will insure business premises and activities whist making visits or working on a construction site. Insurance will normally cover:

  • Damage to property and possessions (existing)
  • Personal injury.
  • Legal costs, including the claimants’ legal costs incurred by the insured if they are found to be at fault.
  • Consequential losses such as loss of earnings (including future loss of earnings).

Public liability insurance and employers’ liability insurance are sometimes offered in a single policy which may also cover office contents and buildings insurance requirements.

A contractor’s personal liability insurance doesn’t safeguard your entire project. Your existing structure is covered but what’s being created is not. With a contractor’s personal liability insurance it will cover you for personal injury attained at the home (on site) but again not the existing structure.

Contract of works

Contract works insurance is an insurance package for builders and other tradesmen, designed to cover work that’s underway on a site. It can pay to repair or redo the work that’s in progress if it’s damaged by an insured event like fire, flood, storm, vandalism or theft.

What does contract works insurance cover?

Contract works insurance covers the work you’re currently doing on a building site.

It can pay for the cost of repairing or redoing the work if it’s damaged or destroyed. This can include the cost of the labour, materials and tools to get the work back to the stage it was at before it was damaged. We ensure each of our contractors has the right adequate insurance to ensure you never come unstuck!

What we do

Part of our strict screening process and requirements is to ensure our contractors have the right level of cover to ensure you are fully protected. The safeguards and checks we put in place gives you the piece of mind that your project will be delivered, without a hitch!

You will have access to these documents from initial consultation and anytime through your project. For more information, please give us a call direct to discuss.